Monday, December 6, 2010

The Book Bob Never Wrote


In the forward to David Cox’s powerful portrait of a violent time, his father, journalist Robert J. Cox, writes:
“This is the book that I could not write…A quarter of a century has passed since the end of the aptly named “Dirty War” in Argentina, yet I still find it too painful to relive those malevolent times by writing about them. So I am deeply indebted to my son David for telling the story of a small English-language newspaper…which saved lives by refusing to be silenced…”
The title of the book is Dirty Secrets, Dirty War (©2008 by David Cox, published by the Evening Post Publishing Co., Charleston, S.C. with Joggling Board Press) and a new edition has just been launched on the market in Spanish (Guerra sucia, secretos sucios, ©2010 by Sudamericana S.A., Buenos Aires, with translation by Teresa Arijón). Both books are listed on Amazon.
While the story is indeed that of the Buenos Aires Herald, where the author’s father worked from 1959 until 1979, and where he was editor-in-chief for well over a decade, it is more the story of the author’s hero: also his father, Robert J. Cox.
David was barely a teenager when, after suffering years of threats, intimidation, arrest and several close calls, his father finally and reluctantly chose to leave Argentina in order to take his family out of harm’s way. But David has since followed in his father’s footsteps, becoming a journalist and writer in his own right, and having worked for publications including the Buenos Aires Herald, the International Herald Tribune, the Miami Herald, the Sunday Times, Clarín, La Nación and Perfil. He is currently a journalist with CNN in Atlanta.    
From May 1974 until December 1979—precisely the violent years that David Cox focuses on in his book—I had the privilege of learning my craft as a writer and journalist from Bob Cox. In fact, in my early days as a newsman, back when it still embarrassed me that I had never managed to find the time or money to complete a college education, when somebody asked where I had gone to “J-school”,  I would say, “Cox-Herald.” And when they said, “Huh, never heard of it,” I would just shrug and raise my eyebrows knowingly, as if to say, “Your loss!”
I recall that when I had worked for the paper for a little over a year and began to feel I was becoming a real newsman, we received a high-flying intern who was placed with me on the night desk editing international news. I immediately felt threatened since the guy had a degree (from the Columbia School of Journalism, if memory serves) and his father was a ranking editor at a major U.S. paper, as well as being a personal friend of Bob’s. To make matters worse, we were kind of left to our own devices, to sort out who was going to run the show on the international desk.
In the end, that part of it seemed to work out brilliantly. Since Bob refused to discuss the matter with either of us, (“It doesn’t really matter, does it? Just get to work and turn the bloody paper out!”) we reached a truce and simply shared the desk. I benefited from his superior education (significantly improving my technical knowledge of news-handling), and he benefited from my greater knowledge of the local scene, the local language and the workings of the printshop. Moreover, left to work things out on our own, we began to get quite bold and creative with layout and headlines, like two rival soda jerks, seeing who could out-do the other making the most elaborate of ice-cream sundaes. Granted, at times, we carried this to extremes: The ever conservative, ever droll Basil Thomson—the Herald’s brilliant humorist and then-chairman of the board—once quipped when we arrogantly asked what he thought of the changes we were making in the front-page layout: “Sometimes it’s difficult to finish breakfast after seeing it.”
Anyway, one night this fellow and I were having one of our frequent arguments over idiotic issues. This time it was about which knowledge was more useful to a newsman, classroom hours or hours wearing out shoe-leather on the street. I had some good defensive arguments and was sort of getting the upper hand when Bob walked into our cubicle, absorbed, as usual, in making final penciled corrections to his editorial as he walked. So this guy decides to engage Bob in our discussion and shut me up.
“I’ll bet Bob has a journalism degree, don’t you, Bob?” he says. “Uh, Bob…don’t you?”
Bob was holding a page against the wall with his left hand while he wrote in a correction with his right, and now he looked away from his work at us as if we had just awakened him from a sound sleep and said, “What?”
“J-school,” says the intern.
“What about it?”
“You went, right?”
Bob looked at him, then at me, then back at him and, handing me his editorial to put into the out-basket for the shop, said: “Most places I’ve worked, if you had a journalism degree, you didn’t talk about it.”
The discussion ended there and neither of us ever brought it up again. And from then on, we were almost chummy.      
I’ve talked here before about how Bob and I met, about how I almost literally besieged him for months on end until he finally hired me to work for the Herald. What I neglected to say was that about ten years ago, when he and I spent an evening reminiscing at his home in Charleston, South Carolina, after not seeing each other for two decades, I reminded him of this and asked if he remembered how obnoxious I had been. To my surprise, he told me that he had sometimes used me and my hounding him as an example of the dogged persistence a journalist needed to have. I felt honored, since before that, I had frequently thought back to that time with a certain chagrin, always feeling that I had simply worn him down when he had no real interest in hiring me.
A lot of what I learned from Bob Cox came as much from what he didn’t tell me to do as from what he did. From the outset he explained that I would often find myself on my own when I felt like there should be someone to hold my hand and walk me through the procedures. If I wanted to be a reporter, it was up to me to get out and do it. But that wouldn’t keep me from having to do what I might feel was more than my share of the hard daily grind of getting the news into print and onto the street. Writing and reporting would be done on my own time, since from 6pm until midnight, or until we were done, I would be expected to be at my desk helping do whatever it took to create a daily edition. During those hours, I would have to make decisions that I probably didn’t have the experience or expertise to make and I would have to be responsible for their outcome. No excuses. So it would behoove me to make those decisions logically and ethically. All of this was simply the nature of working for a small, under-funded, community newspaper and if I could live with that and pass my thirty-day trial, I had a job.
In other words, from the beginning, I was treated like a professional, like somebody who should know what he was doing, even though I clearly didn’t. But that kind of responsibility tended to make you learn fast. And not having the boss breathing down your neck all the time meant that when he did tell you something, it was memorable and it changed and molded you.

Author David Cox

One of the greatest lessons I learned from Bob was that a newsman’s first loyalty should not be to the advertising department, to the Board of Directors, to the boss or even to the paper’s editorial line, but to the reader and to his or her own sense of honesty. This was, perhaps, the greatest lesson I ever learned, not only about authentic journalism, but also about writing in general. And a second lesson he taught me was that neither journalism nor writing was like any other job in the world. It wasn’t something that could be done without full commitment. If what you were looking for was simply a steady job where you could just show up and that would be enough, then you should be a bureaucrat. If you were going to be a journalist or a writer or both, however, you needed to be the job. Nothing less would do.
Perhaps the ultimate lesson that Bob Cox taught me, however, more through his actions than his words, was that there were severe consequences to publicly telling the truth, and that you had to be willing to accept those consequences and live (or die) with them. Otherwise you needed to look for something less risky to do with your life, because painting a portrait of your times, telling what you saw exactly as you saw it, was one of the riskiest occupations on earth. A morning newspaper was, in the end, not merely a selected assembly of the previous day’s events, but a—hopefully objective—reflection of the times, a daily snapshot of the era, history in real time. As such, it had to be as true as you could get it. And wherever there was truth, there were people who wanted to silence it…at any cost.
This kind of commitment is what David Cox’s book is about. In this highly inspired portrait of his father, David demonstrates himself to be an accomplished writer, stepping back somewhat from his more intimate role as Bob’s son and observing his father as the subject of a probing and detailed biography. Interestingly enough, the author doesn’t merely talk about the years of the bloody military regime in Argentina that turned his father into an internationally renowned journalist, but starts, instead, at the beginning, when his father was a boy, growing up in war-torn England and forming his first ideals in the face of the Nazi and Fascist threats to world peace and freedom. He talks about Bob’s precociously early first steps in journalism and his first job as a reporter. He then goes on to tell about the hand of fate that took Bob to Buenos Aires, of how Basil Thomson traveled to Britain in search of new talent for the Herald and how, like in a writer’s fantasy, Bob became his choice and was taken away on a voyage to a new adventure in a strange land.
This is the story too of how that adventure became a lifetime commitment—to an editor he admired, to the woman he met, loved and married, to the family they formed, and to the newspaper that became his mission and his life as a journalist, writer and editor.
But despite the distance he takes to tell his father’s story as an objective narrator, David Cox skillfully manages to weave intimacy into the story as well, since we also see the effects of those “malevolent times”—as Bob refers to them in his forward—on the entire family, on David’s mother, Maud Daverio de Cox, and on David himself and his four siblings, Robert Andrew, Victoria, Peter and Ruth. He carefully paints a portrait not only of Robert J. Cox, journalist and editor, but also of Bob Cox, husband and father, and of the strength that the family members drew from each other and from friends and supporters in the midst of critical and life-changing times.
In the end, the story that David Cox tells—and that I highly recommend, even if you don’t know anything about, or have the slightest interest in Argentina—is a universal one. It is a story about the true value of staunch idealism and provides proof that determined individuals can make a difference, and in doing so, both change and save lives.   

4 comments:

john fernandes said...

A Christmas miracle,Dan - reading your piece on Bob Cox by his son David - still sleepless from jet lag in a hotel room in Australia! Beautiful copy -brought back dubious memories of phantom heroes (Remember I didn't speak Spanish too well then and half the time didn't understand what the hell was going on) Will definitely read the book. I couldn't make it to the launch - Now busy serving strangers tea at a B&B in Iguazu - Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and family!

Dan Newland said...

More of a miracle than you might think, John! Last week I was working on a book I'm writing on the bad old good old days in Buenos Aires and I was recalling the scene right after Stuart was picked up by a hit squad and was told to be out of the country in 72 hours or die. I remembered how you and I took him for a last drink together before he left at La Fragata on Av. Corrientes. It was hot and the windows were open in the place and we sat at a table where we could keep an eye on the street. The whole time a black car with diplomatic plates from the British Embassy and a plateless Ford Falcon from the Coordinación Federal circled the block and as we got progressively drunker, we would wave and cheer at the first one and make rude gestures at the second. Also recall having a drink with you at your place in Belgrano (before you moved to Retiro) and hearing a bomb go off and then gunfire nearby. Crazy times we both picked to arrive in Buenos Aires!
Anyway, I decided to look you up, and found the site for your B&B and was so happy for you. I promised myself I'd find a way to get in touch this weekend and when I opened up my email this morning, there was your comment.
I look forward to renewing ties with you, John. We think of you often. I know people always say that, but in this case it's really true. A very happy New Year to you too, my old friend!

Sylvia said...

Hi Dan! Highly interesting review on David Cox's book, plus mini-memoirs of your own Herald Days. Wish that the following were true nowadays (save for exceptional J's, dunno..give me some names).

"One of the greatest lessons I learned from Bob was that a newsman’s first loyalty should not be to the advertising department, to the Board of Directors, to the boss or even to the paper’s editorial line, but to the reader and to his or her own sense of honesty. This was, perhaps, the greatest lesson I ever learned, not only about authentic journalism, but also about writing in general./.../"

HA. I happen to be reading a critique on Karl Marx, who lost quite a few posts in important newspapers cos his views didn't fit in with the editorial line, the B.of D. or the public they wooed. I'm no marxist and I understand Marx decided he wasn't one either, sometime before he died. But oh my, what a brilliant mind he had...

Next, my eye caught this bit in your answer to friend john fernandes:

"More of a miracle than you might think, John! Last week I was working on a book I'm writing on the bad old good old days in Buenos Aires and I was recalling the scene right after Stuart was picked up by a hit squad and was told to be out of the country in 72 hours or die. I remembered how you and I took him for a last drink together before he left at La Fragata on Av. Corrientes. It was hot and the windows were open in the place and we sat at a table where we could keep an eye on the street. The whole time a black car with diplomatic plates from the British Embassy and a plateless Ford Falcon from the Coordinación Federal circled the block and as we got progressively drunker, we would wave and cheer at the first one and make rude gestures at the second. Also recall having a drink with you at your place in Belgrano (before you moved to Retiro) and hearing a bomb go off and then gunfire nearby. Crazy times we both picked to arrive in Buenos Aires!"

I'm delighted to discover that 'last week' you were working on your book. How about 'this week, next week and all the following weeks' - until you finish it? Hope the Stuart scene comes with the package. I suspect you've finished your book but keep tweaking bits obssessively. Naah..jus' kiddin', huh?

I'm probably "meando fuera del tarro", but I hope you'll keep following Bob's advice, that's to say "publish and be dammed" (in another context, natch), even if the contents of your book alienate you forever from everybody that ever mattered to you in The Herald and outside it. Syl dixit.

Thank you for the good read.

Dan Newland said...

And thanks, as always, Syl, for reading me. Wow, why are your comments always so much more interesting than my blog entries? Oh wait, I know: because you're such an extraordinary writer! But anyway, yes, the idea is to keep at it until its done. And then to find a gambler who'll publish it.